Forum fédéral canne et bâton
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Forum fédéral canne et bâton

Le forum de toutes les disciplines de la canne de combat

AccueilAccueil  RechercherRechercher  Dernières imagesDernières images  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  
Le Deal du moment : -45%
WHIRLPOOL OWFC3C26X – Lave-vaisselle pose libre ...
Voir le deal
339 €

translation questions

+4
julie
Julien Falconnet
bucheron
sophie leclerc
8 participants
Aller à la page : 1, 2  Suivant
AuteurMessage
sophie leclerc
best of bavard
best of bavard
sophie leclerc

Féminin

translation questions Empty
MessageSujet: translation questions   translation questions EmptyVen 3 Oct - 1:18

how would you explain

traversées courte sur voltes adverses?

does this mean A foreshortens his cross movement which he is doing to change his stance when he observes that A is perfoming a turn (volte)

tricky french. they can say that in 5 words.
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
bucheron
best of bavard
best of bavard
bucheron

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyVen 3 Oct - 2:29

they would says it in 5 word but would spend 3 pages explaining it Laughing.

do you have the contexte?

a short "traversé" to counter a volte?

my guess is
A is doing a volte (so he is moving in rotation), B follow the momentum ( he is doing a tangente to the rotation)
both tirreur are back to back so B make a sharp turn, fall in "fente" and hit A onder the applause of the mob.

since A was already moving, B doesnt have to do a complete traversé.
Julien Falconnet
Modérateur
Julien Falconnet

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyVen 3 Oct - 2:35

sophie leclerc a écrit:
tricky french. they can say that in 5 words.
Actually, we can, but does it means something precise? Wink

I would translate, if my understanding is correct (and my english not to bad) : small cross movement during (or in response to) oponent turn.

I mean, even in french, 'traversée' means something special in "canne" vocabulary, which is not the common acceptation.

traverser is to cross.
"une traversée en canne" is a fast movement through the oponent area to change combat axis, according to "antigame" rules, it's only legal and called a "traversée" if it's part of an offensive action (ie you must attack right after the movement).

As you see, traversée in canne vocabulary is much more than a cross.

May be traversée should stay traversée in english (like rendez-vous, fiancé, déjà-vu, Coup de grâce, and other romantic terms Wink ), or may be we can use english capacity to create new words (cross-through, flip-side movement, move-through attack, or anything else, my elnglish is poor).
http://www.canne-et-dragons.org/
sophie leclerc
best of bavard
best of bavard
sophie leclerc

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyVen 3 Oct - 3:58

the context is Bertrand's handout/outline for his seminar. that's all he put
traversée courte sur volte adversaire

I like julien's idea. maybe traversée will stay as such in english
and of course with the explanation and demonstration to support, they students will get it cheers

lol! Bertrand is going to be severely handicapped during the seminar because he does like to talk so much!!!!

i think there will be a lot of SHOW instead of TELL
julie
et ça papote...
et ça papote...
julie

Féminin

MessageSujet: technico-tactiques   translation questions EmptyVen 9 Jan - 19:24

can anyone give me a short phrase to translate technico-tactiques ?

thanks!

boxe
http://www.savate.org
julie
et ça papote...
et ça papote...
julie

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyVen 9 Jan - 19:25

julie a écrit:
can anyone give me a short phrase to translate technico-tactiques ?

thanks!

boxe

from French into English...

"technical tactics" doesn't really work
http://www.savate.org
arno
best of bavard
best of bavard
arno

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptySam 10 Jan - 6:08

"tecnico-tactique" is a compounded word.

it's something like : "using technicals for tactics"...(tell me if i'm wrong... What a Face )

"traversée" is only a move included in "technico-tactique", for exemple.
bucheron
best of bavard
best of bavard
bucheron

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptySam 10 Jan - 23:48

strategic technic sound good.
cause if i understand correctly the concept it is a application of complexe physical mouve (a technic) to gain a tactical advantage.
arno
best of bavard
best of bavard
arno

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyDim 11 Jan - 5:17

i meant that.

"strategic technic" does sound well!!! cheers
sophie leclerc
best of bavard
best of bavard
sophie leclerc

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyDim 11 Jan - 15:35

arno a écrit:

"strategic technic" does sound well!!! cheers

perhaps. the word is technique in English, well American English anyway .
and we say "sounds good" Wink

more seriously, My observation: with a compound word like this English does not have a two word translation. if technico-tatctique refers to the judicious application of strategic movements in a bout, there is no easy way to say that.

you could say techniques and Strategies, or Techniques and their strategic application
bucheron
best of bavard
best of bavard
bucheron

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyMar 13 Jan - 22:53

it did'nt sound good enough for ''sound good'',
''well'' being ok but not yet good.

so what about ''planified hack and slash''
(ok there's no slash)
Yoann
best of bavard
best of bavard
Yoann

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyMar 13 Jan - 23:00

bucheron a écrit:
hack and slash''

Diablo III cheers
Ronanan
coucou ! j'arrive !
coucou ! j'arrive !

Masculin

MessageSujet: AA   translation questions EmptyDim 31 Mai - 15:50

does this mean A foreshortens his cross movement which he is doing to change his stance when he observes that A is perfoming a turn (volte)

I think it means :
any short cross movement during opponent turn.

short cross movement could be a cross movement that's not finished (A does not cross his "garde" completely), or a very fast cross movement.

by the way, couldn't you say "crossing" for "traversée", rather than "cross movement" ? It's the first word that came into my mind when I wanted t translate "traversée" in English, but then again, I'm French, so ... Very Happy
And ow do you translate "garde" in English

"techniquo-tactique" could translate as strategic technic, though I think the english language is more flexible in compounding words than French ...
bucheron
best of bavard
best of bavard
bucheron

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyDim 31 Mai - 17:46

I think the
best definition is A is doing a volte (rotating mvt) and since he is already moving
so the distance for needed to make a ''traversé'' is shorter for B.

I don’t think anyone defined an ''official glossary'' for the cane in English
gwen_BZH
et ça papote...
et ça papote...
gwen_BZH

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyLun 1 Juin - 13:23

[HS]
Présente toi dans le bar, Ronan, c'est plus poli Wink
[/HS]
http://www.garbagecollector.fr
sophie leclerc
best of bavard
best of bavard
sophie leclerc

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyVen 5 Juin - 12:41

[quote="Ronanan"]traversées courte sur voltes adverses?

by the way, couldn't you say "crossing" for "traversée", rather than "cross movement" ? It's the first word that came into my mind when I wanted t translate "traversée" in English, but then again, I'm French, so ... Very Happy
And ow do you translate "garde" in English

in French traversée is formed from the past participle of traverser. to follow the same formation in English, the past participle of "to cross/traverser" would be "crossed" not CROSSING. Crossing is the present participle, or the equivalent of "traversant" in French.

Garde in English is "guard"
we say EN GARDE to mean "put up your guard" i.e. get in position.

Claude Rose helped me translate some things for Bertrand Dubreuil. I think the development of a lexicon for Canne in English is something that should be developed by an international committee of French/Canadian/British/American bi-lingual speakers and writers.
Ronanan
coucou ! j'arrive !
coucou ! j'arrive !

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptySam 6 Juin - 22:21

In French, we use the past participle because it is the only way to make a substantive from an action verb(in this case a movement).
Whereas in English, I think, the best way to form a noun out of an action verb is to use the present participle. I may be totally wrong and it is not a really serious matter, but I find it helpful to talk about these matters, for my own personnal edification, I mean.
I agree with you on the idea of a lexicon (the more people are involved, the better) : la canne de combat uses so much technical words and expressions that trying to explain them can be long and tedious, whereas translating them can help the understanding.
On the other hand, it IS a French sport, and, exactly like the japanese martial arts, we should perhaps keep the french expressions in official competitions.
which makes the idea of an offical lexicon a tricky debate.
sophie leclerc
best of bavard
best of bavard
sophie leclerc

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyDim 7 Juin - 11:10

Perhaps you are right about noun formation from verbs. but the further problem for a translator is that the languages do not use the formations in an equivalent fashion. traversée when explained in English cannot be called a crossing. it would have to be labeled a "crossing movement" or something along that nature using a noun adjective pair.

for the lexicon i agree, along the lines of ballet where the terms remained French. still there is the need to explain in English what is meant for the people who don't speak french.
Ronanan
coucou ! j'arrive !
coucou ! j'arrive !

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyDim 7 Juin - 19:56

Yes, you are right about the difference of noun formations. It would probably be called "crossing movement". I was just wondering about the different possibilities we would have to name "traversée" in English. Cross movement is plain enough, but to me it conveys the idea of the shape of a cross. But I am just hair splitting.
There is also the problem of oral understanding : when a referee says something, say "non-respect du principe parade/esquive/riposte" in a fight, as it is a rather long phrase, an English speaker might not understand exactly what he said (or might not have heard). Beyond the issue of the basic skill of understanding, it sets the problem of speaking with enough clarity to be understood by the non-french speaking "tireurs".
Hence the gesture system which erases this barrier, but is still in development, if I am not mistaken.
However, if it is developped and approved, we will end up like in Basketball where the referee, when he stops the game, does not always speaks the faults, but only "gestures" them.
I think in that case, there would be no use for the french words and phrases anymore, which would be convenient for them, but a shame as well.
bucheron
best of bavard
best of bavard
bucheron

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyLun 8 Juin - 20:48

I 'm not sure, the french realy enjoye talking Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Ronanan
coucou ! j'arrive !
coucou ! j'arrive !

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyLun 8 Juin - 21:36

Indeed.
There are more french-speaking people speaking english on this english-speaking forum than english-speaking people speaking french on any french-speaking forum. Very Happy
voilà.
sophie leclerc
best of bavard
best of bavard
sophie leclerc

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyLun 15 Juin - 0:03

for traversé one could say "a movement traversing the opponent's stance" or some such, if you don't like the idea of cross.

but for me as a native Englsih speaker, "cross" doesn't have the unique connotation of the "cross".

whatever. hand gestures would be good. but still the need to have explanations in multiple languages behind the gestures will exist.
Ronanan
coucou ! j'arrive !
coucou ! j'arrive !

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyLun 15 Juin - 16:57

Oh well ...
Like I said, this was just hair splitting ...
"cross movement" works fine and not using cross would force us to use longer expressions to name it.
"a movement traversing the opponent's stance" is a good explanation of "une traversée". I haven't even looked at the technical definition in french, but to me, it explains pretty well what it is. People can find out when to use a "traversée" by themselves, can't they ?
Julien Falconnet
Modérateur
Julien Falconnet

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyMer 24 Juin - 1:24

cross stance move?
http://www.canne-et-dragons.org/
Ronanan
coucou ! j'arrive !
coucou ! j'arrive !

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions EmptyDim 28 Juin - 20:17

Short unidirectionnal but rotating move crossing an opponent's stance ?
I don't know ...

Mmmmh. I'm not sure of my spelling in "unidirectionnal". I'm not even sure it exists.
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: translation questions   translation questions Empty

translation questions
Page 1 sur 2Aller à la page : 1, 2  Suivant